Quote by Knuth

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: Quote by Knuth
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2021 09:41:30 +0200

> Sent: Sunday, July 18, 2021 at 6:43 AM
> From: "Marcin Borkowski" <mbork@mbork.pl>
> To: "Christopher Dimech" <dimech@gmx.com>
> Cc: "Emanuel Berg" <moasenwood@zoho.eu>, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

I understand that.  About twenty years ago, I tried it.  It gets things
even more complicated than they are.  I rather have a number of small
well contained implementations.  I disagree with Knuth that a practitioner
of literate programming becomes an essayist, whose main concern is with
exposition and excellence of style, rather than how to perform the actual
computation.

The biggest problem has always been how to do something, rather than how to
describe it.  I gave up trying to put everything in one file.  What is need is
good categorisation of the different aspects involved.  Though, categorisation
is very time consuming.  I see many writing scholarly papers describing things
which are actually useless.  What happens is that the problem could get
exasperated.

And if done by students the problems will became even worse.  Computation is
today
still very far from the archaic system many mathematics departments operate.

I know a few professors myself claiming to work on the dynamic properties of
everything
and the bullshit they say they have developed.  They say they develop the
theories,
they develop the computational algorithms needed, they do everything.  Until
you do some
work with them and realise there's not much to their work.  Welcome to the
world of academia
in the western world.

Consider Ramanujan and Perelman for instance.  Both have worked from some pit
hole making
great soup.  Modern societies have started treating everything as in some state
of illness.
The second largest industry on the planet is pharmaceuticals, which makes too
much lousy soup.

You just have to look at how the development of the coronavirus vaccines are
happening !
Everyday, you have to add something else to them, else they won't work.  If
you're constantly creating nasty chemistry, how can life within you understand
that you're seeking well-being?