Re: Emacs i18n

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs i18n
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2021 18:55:09 -0400

Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor [2021-07-21 23:58:31]
wrote:
> Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:
>>> China's opinion is irrelevant and full of shit.
>> Your prejudice doesn't change the fact that a significant
>> (and arguably an increasing) amount of research is done
>> in Chinese.
> I believe you, but how do you know that?

Only occasional anectodal "evidence", sorry.

But for example https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01076-x
refers to a major increase in funding in China, and while AFAIK top
research from China still aims to publish in English venues (which are
still more prestigious and give more exposure), I expect a large
fraction of that research is only published in Chinese (after all, the
Chinese speaking audience is already fairly large ;-)

        Stefan

PS: While the above talks about science in general, my own experience is
limited to computer science, where English is arguably even more
entrenched than in other fields.