Re: minimize-frame ?

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: minimize-frame ?
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2021 02:16:05 +0200

David Masterson <dsmasterson92630@outlook.com> writes:

> Is it possible to have Emacs control the window manager?  For
> instance, if I didn't want to use the mouse, could I setup a key to
> minimize Emacs?

`iconify-frame'?

With some minimal setup it's possible to use Emacs in X even without any
window manager.  You then need to have the key bindings ready to
position and remove frames and such stuff.

Controlling a window manager is a different thing.  Depends on the
window manager then.  Using xdotool or such things is probably easier.
One can do a lot of things when one has a lot of time...

There is also an "Emacs X Window Manager" called "EXWM" - my
distribution tells:

EXWM (Emacs X Window Manager) is a full-featured tiling X window
manager for Emacs built on top of XELB. It features:

* Fully keyboard-driven operations
* Hybrid layout modes (tiling & stacking)
* Dynamic workspace support
* ICCCM/EWMH compliance
* (Optional) RandR (multi-monitor) support
* (Optional) Builtin system tray
* (Optional) Builtin input method
Homepage: https://github.com/ch11ng/exwm

I've never tried it since I don't like tiling WMs.

Also a WM written in Haskell exists, I guess this one would be
controllable with Emacs, too.  Or maybe ratpoison, the WM with "no
rodent dependence".

Since I use Emacs for most tasks anyway, I must say that I don't care
that much about rodent...usage, maybe others want to share their
experience.

Michael.