Re: Screenshots, frame shots straight from Emacs

From: Hongyi Zhao
Subject: Re: Screenshots, frame shots straight from Emacs
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2021 17:16:42 +0800

On Fri, Jul 23, 2021 at 1:55 PM Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:

> * Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> [2021-07-23 03:53]:
> > 1. Have the delay feature, so that I can do some operations before the
> > screenshot is captured, say, click on mouse button, open a dropdown
> > menu, and so on.
>
> This improved function will allow that you invoke for example:
>
> C-5 M-x frameshot to delay for 5 seconds. But this Emacs function I
> think will not allow to get the screenshot of the dropdown, maybe it
> requires using threads, now I don't know how to do it within Emacs.

Based on the comment here [1], I find the following simple method to
capture a drop-down menu:

Install the imagemagick package, then issue the following command on a terminal:

$ sleep 10; import -window root /tmp/screenshot.png

In the next 10 seconds change your active window, open the dropdown
menu and wait. You will likely need to crop your screenshot
afterwards.

[1] https://askubuntu.com/questions/584778/how-to-capture-a-drop-down-menu

Best,
Hongyi