etags - Word separators with xref-find-definitions

From: Christian Barthel
Subject: etags - Word separators with xref-find-definitions
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 10:56:01 +0200

Hello,

I am using a TAGS file with a custom regex for SQL function, view
and table definitions.  At the moment, I am using this:

etags --language=none \
   --regex='/[ \t]*create\( or replace\)*[ \t][ \t]*\(function\|view\|table\)[
\t]*\([^ (]*\)/\3/i'
   *.sql

The TAGS file contains identifiers like ‘schema.objectname’.
However, when I am trying to use M-. (xref-find-definitions), it
either searches for ‘schema’ or ‘objectname’ (depending on the
location of the point).

Is it possible to customize the xref function such that it
recognize ‘schema.objectname’?  Are there any variables to
control the behavior of M-. ?

(Something similar happens for LaTeX references:  I am using
\label{chapter:foobar}, but the : is lost and I can’t easily jump
to the reference)

My current workaround is to use C-u M-. and enter the name
manually but it would be nicer to directly jump to the definition.

Thanks!
--
Christian Barthel