Re: ace-window and font face not working

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: ace-window and font face not working
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 12:03:17 +0300

> From: Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 10:18:38 +0200
>
> On Mon, Jul 26, 2021 at 3:19 PM Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@gmail.com> wrote:
> > (custom-set-faces
> >          '(aw-leading-char-face
> >            ((t (:inherit ace-jump-face-foreground :height 30 :weight
> > bold :foreground "#00ffff" :background "#0000ff")))))
> >

> I'm still fighting with this, however I've made some steps forward:
> 1) the aw-ledaing-char-face is not honored in terminal window because
> any face size is not, since the terminal is driving the font size. In
> other words, the above almost works in GUI Emacs but
> 2) no matter where I place the above snippet, it does not work once
> GUI Emacs is started unless M-x evaluate-region

Both results are expected.

> Why do I need to re-evaluate the region after Emacs has started?

Because as long as at least one GUI frame is created, Emacs doesn't
have access to GUI capabilities that can affect the selected fonts.
Assuming that you start Emacs with -nw or as a daemon, you need to
have face customizations that require GUI features in
after-make-frame-functions, not in your init file.