Re: [External] : Re: Package cl is deprecated

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Package cl is deprecated
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2021 05:57:14 +0200

Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> Hongyi Zhao wrote:
>
> > emacs-build-number is a variable defined in ‘version.el’.
> >
> > Its value is 1
> >
> >> has Gnus version (C-u M-x gnus-version RET)
> >
> > This function, `gnus-version', doesn't exist on my side
> > at all.
>
> Hm ... maybe it wasn't included in Emacs 1?
>
> Please use these commands to install Emacs from source.

Maybe he just did something wrong.  The build number is also available
in the prefilled buffer you get from M-x report-emacs-bug, you can look
there.

`emacs-version' is a normal function (and command, and a
variable)... nothing special about it.  Unless your build is really
broken, but let's not assume that for now.

> Then do `emacs-version' (or 'emacs --version' in the
> shell). And look for `gnus-version'.

Note that gnus-version is not autoloaded.  One needs to load gnus before
it is available.

And I have forgotten what the purpose was to look at it.

Michael.