Re: [External] : Re: Package cl is deprecated

From: Hongyi Zhao
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Package cl is deprecated
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2021 12:29:44 +0800

On Mon, Aug 2, 2021 at 11:29 AM Emanuel Berg via Users list for the
GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hongyi Zhao wrote:
>
> > emacs-build-number is a variable defined in ‘version.el’.
> >
> > Its value is 1
> >
> >> has Gnus version (C-u M-x gnus-version RET)
> >
> > This function, `gnus-version', doesn't exist on my side
> > at all.
>
> Hm ... maybe it wasn't included in Emacs 1?
>
> Please use these commands to install Emacs from source.
>
> Then do `emacs-version' (or 'emacs --version' in the
> shell). And look for `gnus-version'.
>
> It's there :)
>
> #! /bin/zsh
> #
> # this file:
> #   http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/.zsh/install-emacs
> #   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/conf/.zsh/install-emacs
>
> export EMACS_SOURCE=https://github.com/mirrors/emacs.git

I use the real upstream repo, instead of the mirror, as shown below:

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/emacs.git

According to my experience, the mirror will lag behind the upstream by
several days in commits.

> prepare-emacs-install () {
>     local ver=${1:-$(emacs --version | head -n 1 | awk '{print $3}' | cut -d
> '.' -f 1)}
>     local emacs_pack=emacs${ver}
>     sudo apt-get update > /dev/null
>     sudo apt-get install build-essential
>     sudo apt-get build-dep $emacs_pack
> }
>
> reset-emacs-source () {
>     git reset --hard
>     git clean -xdf
>     git pull $EMACS_SOURCE
> }
>
> get-emacs-source () {
>     git clone $EMACS_SOURCE
> }
>
> # $ ./autogen.sh
> # $ ./configure --with-modules

This is the default behavior, so it is needless if you want this feature.

> # $ make
> # $ sudo make install
>
> --
> underground experts united
> https://dataswamp.org/~incal

Theory and Simulation of Materials
No. 473, Quannan West Street, Xindu District, Xingtai, Hebei province