Re: TRAMP and umask (and git)

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: TRAMP and umask (and git)
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2021 18:23:44 +0200

Michael Albinus wrote:

>> There is another suggestion there that recommends to alter
>> x's .profile and set umask depending on a value passed via
>> tramp-remote-process-environment. I just altered x's
>> .profile to set umask *unconditionally*, and it has
>> no effect.
>
> sudo requires an additional "-i" argument in order to to run
> the shell as login shell, reading ~/.profile. So you must
> teach the "sudo" entry in tramp-methods to add this
> argument, via tramp-login-args.
>
> Furthermore, if x's remote shell is bash or zsh, Tramp tries
> to avoid reading ~/.profile. See tramp-sh-extra-args.

Tramp... zsh... this rings a bell. No, actually the bell rings
clear, it was rather that when we finally got it to work, we
had tried so many things conclusions were... inconclusive
at best.

I don't even remember if it was indeed zsh, or my remote SunOS
and OpenBSD, that caused the trouble. They are trouble spot
OSs, right?

Anyway I yank the file, maybe Mr. Albinus can have a second
look and detect what was going on :) Maybe it can help the OP
as well.

Anyway it works great, thanks again :) "Hooray!"

;;; -*- lexical-binding: t -*-
;;;
;;; this file:
;;;   http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/emacs-init/tramp-incal.el