Re:   and nXML mode

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re:   and nXML mode
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 09:41:03 +0900

> On Aug 9, 2021, at 14:57, Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 9 Aug 2021 at 09:22, Jean-Christophe Helary
> <lists@traduction-libre.org> wrote:
>
>> Is there a reason why nXML mode refuses to consider &nbsp; entities as legit
>> in a document that starts with:
>>
>> <!DOCTYPE html>
>
> If you view that as an XML document (which is what nXML deals with),
> without any preconceived knowledge of HTML5, there is nothing to
> suggest that &nbsp; is legit.
>
> In XML, an entity can be defined inline within the doctype declaration:
>
>    <!DOCTYPE html [
>      <!ENTITY nbsp "&#a0;">
>    ]>
>
> or by reference to an external entity definition:
>
>    <!DOCTYPE html
>      PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
>      SYSTEM "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd";>

When I put that at the top of my file, nxml says "unexpected token".

> (In the HTML5 spec, this is referred to as “obsolete permitted DOCTYPE
> string”, and the obsoletion is from the HTML5 point of view. I.e. if
> you use an HTML5-aware parser, <!DOCTYPE html> is sufficient to
> declare an HTML5 document.)
>
> If you fetch that url, you will see that it references a number of
> modules, and if you chase references far enough, you will get to
> http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/DTD/xhtml-lat1.ent which contains this as its
> first significant line:
>
>    <!ENTITY nbsp   "&#160;" ><!-- no-break space = non-breaking
> space, U+00A0 ISOnum -->
>
> and that’s what makes &nbsp; a valid entity reference in an XHTML document.
>
> (XML processors normally have some shortcuts, such as DTD pre-cached
> in the so-called XML catalog, so that they don’t have to fetch them
> from the network each time. XML catalog is keyed by the PUBLIC and/or
> SYSTEM identifiers but not by the doctype root element name.)

Thank you for explaining the process. I was not aware of how processors handled
the thing.

But I guess trying to make nxml be aware all this goes well beyond the scope of
my work, so I'll just use html-mode.

--
Jean-Christophe Helary @brandelune
https://mac4translators.blogspot.com