Re: terminal emacs configuration take 2

From: Tim Visher
Subject: Re: terminal emacs configuration take 2
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 08:54:52 -0400

On Wed, Aug 11, 2021 at 10:52 AM Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I had earlier posted on changing fonts/faces for terminal Emacs (-nw
> or nox).  Assuming I can detect that I'm running in the terminal in
> .Emacs, what can I configure in terms of
> faces/fonts/colours/borders/toolbars?  More so, assuming *no* X server
> is running and TERM returns "xterm/xterm-256color"(like putty/MS terminal)
> IF there is a dark theme that is easy on the eyes with large fonts
> with decent colours for terminal emacs, that would help.
>
> All configuration needs to go into .emacs.

IMHO the best way to 'theme' emacs in a terminal is to apply the color
theme to the terminal emulator and leave emacs alone, save for setting the
frame-background-mode to light or dark if it's not being detected properly.
The reason for this is that anything that I want to change about colors for
emacs I'd really like to have applied for all my terminal applications. Why
would I settle for nice colors in emacs and then jarring in colors in bash?

Furthermore many of the configuration options you're referring to have no
analog in terminal emacs. Certainly fonts but also toolbars and frame
borders and such just aren't configurable in any meaningful way AFAIK. That
said, again setting the font in your terminal emulator makes emacs _and_
the rest of your terminal experience nice.

That said, if you can already detect that you're in a terminal and
furthermore that you're trying to have a single config that behaves
differently in CLI vs. GUI then whatever you're configuring can just go
behind if or when statements in your config file. Just be aware that some
of it isn't relevant.

As far as what I like: I'm a fan of Adobe's Source Code Pro font, iTerm2's
rendering, and the Solarized Light theme. I've also used dark themes in the
past but they're harder on the eyes. YMMV.

--

In Christ,

Timmy V.

https://blog.twonegatives.com