Re: Too fine design granularity leads to numerous macro/function/command

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Too fine design granularity leads to numerous macro/function/command existed in Emacs.
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 09:57:37 +0200

Hongyi Zhao wrote:

> It's well known that Emacs has already implemented numerous
> macro/function/command in its current version. But it seems
> that this is caused by, to a certain degree, the too fine
> granularity, i.e., there are many functionally similar
> macro/function/command are designed separately, for example,
> `directory-files' and `directory-files-recursively'.
> The traditional Unix tool, `find', can do all the jobs of
> the above two functions by adjusting its `-maxdepth' and
> `-mindepth' arguments.

OTOH, you can do _a lot_ with find!

GNU tools have a lot of options, Emacs have a lot of
functions, Linux (and zsh) has a lot of features, Gnus has
a lot of source code...

Try BSD (including toolchain) if you want less :)

Well, no disrespect to the BSD people, many of whom use Emacs.

With the maximalist approach it is unavoidable that
sometimes one function can do 1 2 and 3, and another can do 2,
3, and 4, so it seems they have "too fine granularity" in your
phrasing but outside the intersection is actually ... 1 and 4!

The most important thing is that everything makes sense and
works, if it overlaps, has inconsistent names with respect to
each other, yada yada, I mean try to avoid it but if it
happens it is not a problem, really.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal