Dired cannot trash, but only in certain locations

From: Felix E. Klee
Subject: Dired cannot trash, but only in certain locations
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2021 10:11:47 -0600

In a Linux VM running under Windows 10, I’ve mounted my user directory:

    vmhgfs-fuse /home/felix/windows fuse.vmhgfs-fuse
rw,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,allow_other 0 0

For use with Dired, I customized:

    '(delete-by-moving-to-trash t)

Now, I cannot trash some files from Dired.  For example:

 1. I open `~/windows/Downloads`. (everything in Emacs under Linux)

 2. I position point on:

        -rw-r--r-- 1 1.8M Aug 11 07:47 1.jpg

 3. I press `D`.  The result in the mini buffer: “error: Cannot move
    /home/felix/windows/Downloads/1.jpg to trash: Permission denied”

However, in the Linux command line, it’s no problem to do:

    cd ~/windows/Downloads/
    trash 1.jpg

Note that this only happens in certain directories.  In other
directories below the `~/windows` mount point, I can trash from Dired
without issues.

Both, the command line tool `trash` and Dired put the trashed files
into:

    ~/.local/share/Trash

I deleted that directory, and in fact there was a permissions issue –
some files had to be deleted as `root`.  However, the problem persists.

It’s weird that I can trash some files with `trash`, but not from Dired.

Any ideas what else I can check?