Re: Does Richard M. Stallman still scrutinize and develop the codes of E

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Does Richard M. Stallman still scrutinize and develop the codes of Emacs now?
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 09:13:07 +0300

* Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> [2021-08-15 10:36]:
> On Sun, Aug 15, 2021 at 3:18 PM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> > [...]
> > The AUTHORS file lists contributions to Emacs since the very
> > beginning, more than 35 years ago.  Any contributions since then till
> > this day are reflected in AUTHORS, and what the contributors do lately
> > doesn't matter at all.  How far back did you go in your study of RMS's
> > contributions?
>
> I got some clues based on some digging into the Emacs git repo, as shown
> below:
>
> $ git log -1
> commit 3572613550f5d1d0b3392dbc809b32f3989e2981 (HEAD -> master,
> origin/master, origin/HEAD)
> Author: Wolfgang Scherer <wolfgang.scherer@gmx.de>
> Date:   Sun Aug 15 04:02:23 2021 +0300
>
> $ git log | grep -m1 -A1 -B1 -i 'Richard M. Stallman'
> commit dca743f0941909a80e3f28c023977120b6203e20
> Author: Richard M. Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Date:   Sun Mar 22 03:51:55 2015 -0400
>
> The most recent commit by RMS was done in 2015.

It is good that you read the Emacs Devel mailing list as to understand
how RMS contributes these days.

How I see it is that RMS has created quite well organized system where
contributors are welcome as it is free software and where the project
develops itself by good will and contributions of so many helpful
people.

So far until now it is well run organization that more or less police
itself, it is self-working, self-functioning organization developing
Emacs more and more.

Every planner of any organization or a project should be proud to
achieve the state where planner is free and organization continues as
envisioned.

RMS's personal commits compared to the above don't matter much. What
matters is that Emacs lives, is being developed and that there are
many authors and contributors.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns