Trapping prefixes with universal argument component

From: Tim Johnson
Subject: Trapping prefixes with universal argument component
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 13:15:31 -0800

GNU Emacs 27.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.20, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2021-06-04 on Ubuntu/Mate 20.04

I have a keypad that does not appear to be doing on linux what it is designed to.
The keypad has three keys with the following legends: "[", "]", and "=".
Used at the bash command line in an emulator those keys emit the following:
040, 041, and 061.

Xev results are available in anyone is interested.

On emacs, pressing these keys results in emacs reading the following
C-u 40-, C-u 41-, and C-u 61-

since these are universal argument sequences, the possibility is that if I were to press one of these keys by mistake and subsequently invoke an emacs command, that command would be executed  as per the prefix and likely to raise havoc or
overload the emacs stack.

It is possible to trap these sequences into something harmless?
(It really is a nice keypad except for these nasty little farts.)

thanks

Tim
tj49.com