Re: Is there any difference between `equal' and `string=' for strings?

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Is there any difference between `equal' and `string=' for strings?
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 12:08:48 +0300

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2021-08-20 09:42]:
> >> (string= 'hi 'hi) -> t
> >
> > With symbols their "print names" are used, you can get that
> > with
> >
> >   (symbol-name 'hi) ; "hi"
>
> The reason for this, I think, is for example so one can do
> a `defun' like this

 (defun do-something (method)
    (when (string= method "now")
     (message "I'm all over it") ))

> Then one can do either
>
>   (do-something "now")
>
> or
>
>   (do-something 'now)

That is something new to me. I would not ever use it that way, but you
discovered it. It looks like incorrect use as (type-of 'now) ⇒ symbol
and is then compared as string.

I would do:

(setq now "Not now") ⇒ "Not now"
(do-something now) ⇒ nil