Re: "Screen"-like functionality

From: Samuel Banya
Subject: Re: "Screen"-like functionality
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 09:54:26 -0400

Hey there, so I am basically one of those people that changes their Emacs
config every 6 months, and see what works, or removes stuff, etc, repeat.

Not sure if this helps but I was looking for the same kind of thing, but am
more of a 'tmux' fan. I know what you're after where its easy buffer management
on the fly to do quick splits (vertically or horizontally), as well as managing
'windows' of different terminal panes.

Unfortunately, I haven't found anything useful yet since the 'tmux' derivatives
I have tried are either outdated because of recent updates to Emacs, or just
jenky / dead projects.

But, I will share with you my research that I gathered since I write all life
tasks as todo list items, so hopefully my research below can help you somehow
(NOTE: I'm also a person that if I don't see a .gif or screenshots of projects
of Emacs plugins, I NEVER try it since I firmly believe every decent project
should have a corresponding screenshot to actually know what it does)

RESEARCH:

<2021-06-11 Fri 22:43>: I would like to create multiple workspaces within a
single Emacs window itself somehow, kind of like how Tmux does
separate windows.

<2021-06-15 Tue 17:28>: Somewhat related but I found 'yabai' which looks like a
Window Manager for MacOSX:
- https://github.com/koekeishiya/yabai

<2021-06-15 Tue 17:30>: Apparently the "C-x left" and "C-x right" allow you to
switch buffers left and right.

<2021-06-15 Tue 17:32>: Someone on IRC told me about this, which is "eyebrowse"
a related window manager Emacs package for Emacs buffers:
- https://depp.brause.cc/eyebrowse/

<2021-06-15 Tue 17:40>: These are other related window manager style Emacs
packages mentioned by the maintainer for the 'eyebrowse' package:
- https://github.com/shosti/elscreen
- https://github.com/emacsattic/escreen
- https://github.com/ilohmar/wconf
- https://github.com/tlh/workgroups.el
- https://github.com/pashinin/workgroups2

<2021-06-15 Tue 17:45>: I never even knew there was a 'tmux plugin manager' or
'tpm':
- https://github.com/tmux-plugins/tpm

<2021-06-15 Tue 17:46>: I could also use 'tmux-pane' from MELPA as well:
- https://github.com/laishulu/emacs-tmux-pane

<2021-06-20 Sun 22:50>: This is cool, but I don't do this too too often.
Demoting to bottom of list.

<2021-06-22 Tue 00:09>: I found a few more :/ so the decision will be a tough
one:
- https://github.com/manateelazycat/awesome-tab
- https://github.com/ema2159/centaur-tabs

<2021-06-22 Tue 00:10>: In total, here are the options, aka here's a checklist
of them so I can just try out each one, and just nuke it if I
don't like it [57%]
- [X] https://github.com/shosti/elscreen <2021-07-06 Tue 23:39>: No longer
maintained = no way
- [X] https://github.com/emacsattic/escreen <2021-07-06 Tue 23:39>: Doesn't