Re: "Screen"-like functionality

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: "Screen"-like functionality
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 20:49:02 +0200

Julius Hamilton wrote:

> There is a bash tool called screen which lets you switch
> windows between different command line prompts.

To be precise, screen (GNU screen) is rather a tool associated
with the terminal emulator, it will work with other shells as
well apart from, be it ksh or zsh or whatever.

Tools such as screen are called terminal multiplexers, the
other big one is tmux (out of BSD) which today is more common
than screen, I think.

> Is there any similar tool for Emacs, where you could run
> some kind of process, for example the Emacs web browser

There is eww (Emacs Web Wowser) which is built-in and the
third-party Emacs-w3m (which uses the shell tool w3m),
Emacs-w3m (out of Japan) has been around longer and should be
very capable of at least static pages (it doesn't support
JavaScript). Because "everyone" today assumes tons of
different fonts/sizes, huge resolutions and mouse use, some
pages appear overloaded in an Emacs buffer, but that's not
Emacs-w3m's fault (and I guess not the webmaster's either, as
their assumption may be correct for 99% of their users - it is
just reality, I guess).

> then switch to a different window or process within Emacs,
> such as a text file being edited?

M-x shell RET

?

It should be enough for most purposes and you switch between
buffers like any other Emacs buffers.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal