Re: [External] : Re: Trapping prefixes with universal argument component

From: Tim Johnson
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Trapping prefixes with universal argument component
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 13:30:32 -0800

On 8/21/21 12:08 PM, Drew Adams wrote:
Neither did reassigning M-kp-0
Hm, maybe it should be put like this: M-<kp-0> ?
   (define-key input-decode-map [M-<kp-0>] nil)
The way to get such things right, assuming that your
keyboard and Emacs can effect the key, is to do this:

1. Use `C-h k' to find out how Emacs itself describes
    (names) the key sequence.  This tells me:

    M-0 (translated from <M-kp-0>) runs the command...

2. Change that to a string by wrapping with "...":
    "<M-kp-0>".

3. Pass that to `kbd': (kbd "<M-kp-0>")

That's your answer.  And if you want to see what
that ends up being (but you [M-kp-0]don't need to), eval
it: the result is [M-kp-0].

So you can use either (kbd "<M-kp-0>") or [M-kp-0].
Thanks Drew: I always using the kbd method and that is what I originally used to reassign. It just did not work. The other side of this is that these three keys are effectively leaders and I have used them as such in the past. But I'm now retired and just want to make things simple. I think I will just pull the keycaps and wrap some duct tape over the switches.

After all, if duct tape is good enough for Red Green, it's good enough for me ... :)

--
Tim
tj49.com