Re: encoding in shell-command and subshell

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: encoding in shell-command and subshell
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 08:28:59 +0900

> On Aug 24, 2021, at 8:09, Dante Catalfamo <dante@lambda.cx> wrote:
>
> How are you launching Emacs? It's possible the environment variables aren't
> defined when Emacs is launched. I know this is a problem on MacOS or when you
> launch it using something like systemd.
>
> The `exec-path-from-shell' package will probably solve the problem for you.
> It opens a shell and pulls all the environment variables from it.

Thank you Dante for the reply.

I use Emacs.app on macOS, that I regularly build from master. I've been using
exec-path-from-shell for as far as I can remember (but I do have a relatively
short memory span...)

And that would not explain the discrepancy between (shell-command "javac ...")
and M-! javac ...

--
Jean-Christophe Helary @brandelune
https://mac4translators.blogspot.com