Re: Gnus Emacs Header

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Gnus Emacs Header
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 12:49:43 +0300

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2021-08-29 08:41]:
> Jason Sanroma wrote:
>
> > I would like to have a header added to every email I send.
> > Similar to the RMS NSA/FBI note. I do not know how to get
> > this added.
> >
> > Does anyone have a suggestion?
>
> Not recommended for various reasons (social etc), but in terms
> of technology you can do it like this:

Adding such similar headers in general, can be very useful. I am often
adding special header like:

From:
Jean Louis
[Line about my current activity]
Phone: [my phone here]
[city], [country]
Sunday, August 29, 2021

We know that there are email headers, but not always such printed
representations are clear about it. Putting a header in the body of
email makes it very clear and often may be legally desirable to be
clear about who wrote what, from where exactly at which time. People
may assume I was writing from a different location or may make other
wrong assumptions.

My function is following:

(defun from-desk ()
  "Prints the current activity for my ID"
  (interactive)
  (cf-connect) ;; connects to database if not connected
  (let* ((sql "SELECT peopleactivities_activity, peopleactivities_locationtext,
peopleactivities_contactline FROM peopleactivities WHERE
peopleactivities_languages = 1 AND peopleactivities_people = 1 ORDER BY
peopleactivities_id DESC LIMIT 1")
        (activity (rcd-sql-list-first sql cf-db)))
  (insert (format "From:
Jean Louis
%s
Phone: %s
%s
%s

" (nth 0 activity) (nth 2 activity) (nth 1 activity) (calendar-date-string
(calendar-current-date))))))

Of course I am tracking current actions in the database and thus my
location, current phone is tracked for future reviews. It changes from
time to time.

Users would need to adapt this function to something easier.

I would not put it in the message-setup-hook as I use it selectively.

> Not recommended for various reasons (social etc)

That is matter of personal expression or integrity and purposes. You
see it as not recommended. The message from RMS I find very
encouraging. Snowden is whistleblower who discovered PRISM
surveillance network.

PRISM (surveillance program)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_%28surveillance_program%29

That does have social impact on the whole world. We have got awareness
as society in general. So the message to invite other whistleblowers
is good way to cause more social betterment.

> ;; (setq message-setup-hook nil)
> (defun message-setup-hook-f ()
>   (message-goto-body)
>   (insert "Down with NSA.\n") )
> (add-hook 'message-setup-hook #'message-setup-hook-f)

Very nice. Adding other similar messages for whatever other
non-political or political reasons is also very handy at least for
some people.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns