RE: [External] : Re: Lisp anime video

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Lisp anime video
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 17:42:25 +0000

> I think the recorded SICP lectures from 1986 mention
> how they used to pronounce c[ad]*r functions.

Used to?  How else to read Lisp out loud? ;-)

I thing I've pointed this list (and emacs-devel)
to the videos of those lectures, maybe more than
once.  You won't get a better presentation about
programming or Lisp, IMO.  A worthwhile help in
learning, at all levels (though no substitute for
practice, of course).

Starts from scratch - zero knowledge of programming.
(But some of the examples are helped by some minimal
math.)  The course is the intro course on "Computer
Science" at MIT.  The text for the course was SICP -
soon thereafter to become the text for courses on
many campuses.

Here are links to the lecture videos.  I recommend
using the YouTube ones, because you have more control
over the pace etc.  You can turn on captioning, see a
full transcript, and, most of all, speed things up
(several speeds, from slower than normal up to twice
normal - all with perfectly understandable sound.

For example, when you feel you know some details of
code being written on the blackboard and what's said
about it, you might want to go to speed 1.25, 1.5,
or 1.75x.  And you can of course repeat something
that you find a bit tricky to grasp on the fly.
There's a _lot_ in this course.

I recommend the entire series: 20 lectures.  But
even just the first lecture is worth it, no matter
how familiar you think you are with programming or
Lisp.  Bon fin de weekend !  Enjoy.

And yes, it's Scheme, which has only lexical binding
(except for top-level constructs like `define'), and
which is a Lisp-1, not a Lisp-2 (so no `symbol-value'
vs `symbol-function', and no `funcall').

Series videos hosted by MIT:

https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-001-structure-and-interpretation-of-computer-programs-spring-2005/video-lectures/

Series videos on YouTube - Lecture 1A (links to
follow-up lectures are on the same page etc.):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J_xL4IGhJA