Re: Debugging SMIE for sh-script.el

From: Kévin Le Gouguec
Subject: Re: Debugging SMIE for sh-script.el
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2021 22:29:55 +0200

Nikolay Kudryavtsev <nikolay.kudryavtsev@gmail.com> writes:

>                         maybe there's another function further down
> the chain which can, smie-indent-exps that is and that's where 6 comes
> from.

See my original message.  To paraphrase, with this shell buffer:

#+begin_src sh
${foo}/bar --baz \
      --quux
#+end_src

With point on "--quux", this yields 6:

#+begin_src elisp
(let ((sh-indent-after-continuation nil))
  (smie-indent-calculate))
#+end_src

- smie-indent-calculate runs all functions in smie-indent-functions,
- in a shell buffer, this variable only holds
  (sh-smie--indent-continuation t),
- but this yields nil:

#+begin_src elisp
(let ((sh-indent-after-continuation nil))
  (sh-smie--indent-continuation))
#+end_src

So what gives?  I've tried Edebugging, but couldn't figure out how to
stop at a spot that made things clearer.

PS: aaand I've just read now Stefan's replies, which kill two birds in
one stone explaining both this riddle, and what the trailing "t" means.
That's the thing I was missing.