Re: Debugging SMIE for sh-script.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Debugging SMIE for sh-script.el
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2021 19:54:32 -0400

> I guess TRT would be to add a third step to check whether (char-before
> (point)) is a closing delimiter, and if so, skip back to its matching
> opener?  With (forward-sexp -1)?  And then assert whether we've hit a $
> sign?

Could be but that could also be dangerous, since we don't want to treat
$(cat food) as a single token.  I think we'd want something a bit less generic.

> No idea whether this makes sense.

The only way to be sure is to think about what *should* be a "token".

Also, the ...-backward-token and ...-forward-token need to be kept in-sync.

        Stefan