Re: Debugging SMIE for sh-script.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Debugging SMIE for sh-script.el
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2021 08:12:39 -0400

> Not sure why we wouldn't want to treat $(cat food) as a single token?

Because tokens are "the atoms" of indentation and I think if we start
to go down this road, it will lead to disappointments in other cases
like

   x="<<$(cat food;
          cat litter)>>"

> Do you mean, as opposed to ${cat_food}?

Yes.

> $(git rev-parse --show-toplevel)/foo --bar \
>                                      --baz

Maybe you're right.  Maybe it's OK to keep $(...) a single token when it
doesn't spread over multiple lines.  It'll prevent `smie-auto-fill` from
inserting a new line inside of it, but other than that it might work
well enough.

        Stefan