Re: Lisp anime video

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Lisp anime video
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2021 23:02:47 +0200

Arthur Miller wrote:

> Indeed lists can be fun. I think it is fun that there is no
> explicit data structure called list in traditional lisps, it
> just a way to work with conses.

Hm ... interesting ...

There is no explicit _list data type_ in Elisp,

  (defvar  num-list nil)      ; nil
  (setq    num-list '(1 2 3)) ; (1 2 3)
  (listp   num-list)          ; t
  (type-of num-list)          ; cons

But there is an explicit _list function_, i.e., `list', that
returns a list, made up out of (car cdr) (or cons cells)
but nonetheless ...

Does that mean there is an explicit list data structure
in Elisp? Or is it implicit?

Or is it just implicit in '(1 2 3)?

> By the way, I found a nice little program to show cons
> structures (lists) and converted it to elisp. It is cool,
> looks like box drawings in early papers.

Can it do the other thing around?

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal