Re: emacs terminology

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs terminology
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2021 09:29:42 +0300

> From: "Y. E." <yet@ego.team>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
> Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2021 21:20:32 +0300
>
> > I'm really curious to understand
> > (if possibile) how did Emacs come up with terms like "kill" and
> > "yank".
> > Is there any resource that explains it?
>
> The only source I found investigating this question is this
> SE thread:
>
> https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/17056/what-is-the-origin-of-the-term-yank

I don't know how it came to be used, but you can find more info here:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/209660/why-is-the-vi-editors-copy-command-called-yank

It says this comes from TECO, and was already in use in the early
1960s.  And Emacs is not the only editor using this terminology: vi
does as well, its command to yank a line is yy or Y.  "Paste" came
later, in 1970s.