Re: How to rename files to numbers in Eshell?

From: Felix E. Klee
Subject: Re: How to rename files to numbers in Eshell?
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 10:44:54 +0200

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:
> (defun renumber-files (&optional files)
> […]

Thanks for the alternative approach, Jean!

It’s still quite verbose, though, even involving the creation of a
custom function.

Renaming files to numbers is actually very easy using Dired’s
`wdired-change-to-wdired-mode`, and then doing regexp replace.  The
purpose of my question is to learn a bit about Eshell.

> I have chosen to renumber it by date, you can customize it
> yourself. It is handy when I am downloading many pictures or videos,
> then I know at what date they were downloaded. Of course in that case
> I don't mind of file names significance, that is why I am renumbering
> them.

For organizing imported media files by date, I have a Bash script
`organize_media`:

https://gist.github.com/feklee/85b5f13e83c796472dda16e31e32b7f3