Re: replacement for shell mode comint-kill-output

From: tomas
Subject: Re: replacement for shell mode comint-kill-output
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 08:20:49 +0200

On Tue, Sep 14, 2021 at 05:55:30PM -0700, huey wrote:
> back in the version 19.30 days I could bring up a shell in emacs and
> enter shell commands.  After executing a command, C-c C-o
> (comint-kill-output) would remove the output from the shell buffer and
> place it in the kill ring, where I could do a simple yank and place
> that output in another  buffer.
>
> Today, using version 27.1, the comint-kill-output command is no
> longer, and C-c C-o provides the similar function
> comint-delete-output.  However, said output is not placed in the kill
> ring, and cannot be yanked back.
>
> Is there a different/simple way to achieve the previous behavior?

The function documentation (i.e. C-h f comint-delete-output) says:

  comint-delete-output is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
  ‘comint.el’.

  (comint-delete-output &optional KILL)

  Delete all output from interpreter since last input.
  If KILL (interactively, the prefix), save the killed text in the
  kill ring.

  This command does not delete the prompt.

    Probably introduced at or before Emacs version 21.1.

So typing `C-u' before `C-c C-o' might do the trick. No idea why/when
`comint-kill-output' took the way out. In theory, of course, you could
make yourself one, along the lines

  (defun my-comint-kill-output ()
    (interactive)
    (comint-delete-output t))