Re: How to reply to a mailing list retrieved via Gnus gmane?

From: Bird
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 15:45:17 +0000

Y. E. via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> Before sending this message 'gnus-post-method' was set to 'native'.
from the manual (info "(gnus) Posting Server") ,
        Finally, if you want to always post using the native select method,
        you can set this variable to ‘native’.

But your native select method is gmane as indicated by the message
before this one. So this will try to send it using gmane, i
guess. However, i do not know much about this territory and someone else
might help you. My suggestion is to wait about a week and if you still
don't find an answer to this, try sending a cross-posted mail in
gmane.emacs.gnus.{general,user} and gmane.discuss

(in this message, the X-Draft-From header was removed)
I haven't changed much in gnus and it works so...
My ~/.gnus.el roughly looks like this:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.gmane.io")
        gnus-secondary-select-methods
        '((nnmaildir "bird"
                     (directory "~/Mail")
                     (gnus-search-engine gnus-search-notmuch))))
  ;; don't use .newsrc files
  (setq gnus-save-newsrc-file nil
        gnus-read-newsrc-file nil)
  ;; do we care about new groups in server?
  (setq gnus-save-killed-list nil
        gnus-check-new-newsgroups 'ask-server)
  ;; posting styles
  (setq gnus-posting-styles
        '((".*"
           (name "Bird")
           (address "birdsite@airmail.cc")
           (signature (concat "Fortune:\n" (shell-command-to-string
"fortune"))))))
  ;; sending mail
  (setq mail-user-agent 'message-user-agent)
  (setq mail-specify-envelope-from t
        sendmail-program "/bin/msmtp"
        mail-envelope-from 'header
        message-sendmail-envelope-from 'header
        message-send-mail-function 'message-send-mail-with-sendmail)

  ;; sorting groups by use  (info "(gnus) Group Score")
  ;; this actually dosen't work for some reason :(
  (add-hook 'gnus-summary-exit-hook #'gnus-summary-bubble-group)
  ;; treat mail-to-nntp groups as mailing list
  (setq gnus-mailing-list-groups
        (rx bol (opt "nntp" (1+ nonl) ":") (or "gmane."
                                               "linux."
                                               "mozilla.")))
  (setq gnus-summary-next-group-on-exit nil)

#+end_src

--
Fortune:
"No, `Eureka' is Greek for `This bath is too hot.'"