Stopping notification mini-buffer messages in EXWM

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Stopping notification mini-buffer messages in EXWM
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 14:37:46 +0100

Hello,

I use exwm as my window manager (of course ;-)) on Debian.

Notifications to the window manager, from both Emacs (emms, twitter,
erc) and other X applications (e.g. Firefox), get displayed by dunst
(which is what I want) but the message shown in the notification pop-up
is also echoed to the mini-buffer.  As the notification messages can
sometimes be long, this causes jitter in the windows by having the
mini-buffer change size.

I've been trying to track down why these messages get echoed to the
mini-buffer but have so far been unable to find the cause.  The messages
consist of a YYMMDD-HH.MM timestamp followed by the "Application:
message" (i.e. the contents of the notification).

E.g.

20210917-14.32: Firefox/Outlook: some email from somebody

There is some interaction between the system dbus for notifications and
exwm, I would guess, but I have not been able to see where this is
taking place.  I don't mind these messages appearing in the *Messages*
buffer (and in fact this can be quite useful) but I don't want them in
the mini-buffer.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,
eric

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50 & org 9.4.6 on Debian 11.0