Re: Get "Args out of range" on remote file loaded with tramp on emacs 27

From: Steinar Bang
Subject: Re: Get "Args out of range" on remote file loaded with tramp on emacs 27 on debian
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 12:18:07 +0200

>> Does it also happen if you call "emacs -Q"?

> No, it does not.  With "emacs -Q" the file loads fine.

>> If not, bisect your ~/.emacs in order to find the
>> culprit. Otherwise, enable backtraces, and show them.

> Whew... my .emacs has a history that goes back to 1987 or 1989 or
> thereabouts... lots of obsolete config that has never been cleaned up. :-)

> But I will try!

Ok, I found the culprit, and it was kind of unexpected, in config not
related to tramp at all:

It's the line
      (push (concat git-gnus-directory "/lisp") load-path)
in
 ;; Git version of Gnus:
 ;; Not in actual use but can't be removed as long as I use gnus-sync because
 ;; gnus-sync use gnus-gethash and this macro has been removed from gnus in
emacs 27
 (if (not running-emacs25-or-emacs26)
     (let ((git-gnus-directory
            (if running-xemacs
                (concat git-workspace "/gnus.xemacs")
              (concat git-workspace "/gnus"))))
       (push (concat git-gnus-directory "/lisp") load-path)
       (let ((git-gnus-info-dir (concat git-gnus-directory "/texi")))
        (push git-gnus-info-dir Info-directory-list))))

The ~/git/gnus/ clone is an obsolete clone from 2016, and as the comment
says, have been left alone because I have code that uses gnus-gethash
from here.

The code that uses is, is something called gnus-sync.el from 2011 (or
therabouts), that was a stopgap solution for what is solved by cloud
gnus.

However, cloud gnus has never worked for me, and since gnus-sync
continued to work, I've procrastinated on the troubleshooting.

But I guess I have to figure it out now.  The author of gnus-sync is
also the author (AFAIK) of the cloudy gnusy stuff (Hi Ted!), so I'm
probably the only user, 10 years on...?