Re: How to rename files to numbers in Eshell?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: How to rename files to numbers in Eshell?
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 16:27:46 +0200

Jean Louis wrote:

> This may serve as starting point:
>
> (defun renumber-files (&optional files)
>   "This function works within Dired or Directory Editor in GNU
>   Emacs. It will rename bunch of files and renumber them
>   automatically by date and number of the file. It is useful when
>   you are renaming less important images or bunch of files with
>   irrelevant file names."
>   (interactive)
>   (let* ((files (or files (dired-get-marked-files)))
>        (count 1))
>     (dolist (file files)
>       (let* ((extension (file-name-extension file))
>            (filename (format "%s-%06.f.%s" (format-time-string "%F") count
> extension)))
>       (rename-file file filename)
>       (setq count (+ count 1))))))
>
> Then in eshell:
>
> $ renumber-files *

That's the spirit Jean - we do _everything_ in Elisp, however
the time, place, and manner of invocation is entirely optional
and up to the user's preference and discretion.
It's interface-agnostic (or client-agnostic) computing
for YOU!

However your style has, in your phrasing, "a bunch" of
flaws ... as in formally

  Second line should not have indentation

  First line is not a complete sentence

  Argument ‘files’ should appear (as FILES) in the doc string

The first `let*' does not have to be parallel but can be the
sequential `let'.

It also lacks a

  (require 'dired)

because of `dired-get-marked-files'.

And there is no need to increment the count manually with the
error-prone out-of-baseline `setq' when you instead can have
a twin iterate/increment loop with `cl-loop' _or_ if you
insist to do it manually you still don't need setq but can use
`cl-incf' and if you insist on setq you can still use `1+'

But that's just me insisting!

Wait, let's just increment manually ...

+1

Sweet :)