Re: In search for an emacs hacker

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: In search for an emacs hacker
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 08:00:34 +0200

Vitus Schäfftlein wrote:

> Emanuel, I need to admit that I have a hard time
> understanding your resentment against academics. I have
> never come across someone who thought in terms of "plebians"
> and "aristos"

Ha, I don't think I wrote that, in ancient Rome there were
plebeians and patricians. The word "plebeian" may "be related
to the Greek, plēthos, meaning masses". [1] However the slaves
were even more the masses both in terms of numbers and the
meaning of the word and what's more "[b]y 287 BC, plebeians
had eliminated their political disadvantages in relation to
the patricians" which I don't think the slaves every did. [1]

> most of the ones I know would rather think in terms of
> bourgeoisie and proletariat

Yes, "most" of the ones I know as well, at least the ones that
were young 1968~1975 are likely to at least be familiar to the
terms ...

> my background is philosophy

Check out the "Dining Philosopher" problem from CS scheduling
theory ...

> 1. org-roam-bibtex [...]
> 2. pdf-tools [...]
> 3. org-noter [...]
> 4. org-roam-ui [...]

I'm not an Org user and also do not use pdf-tools so I can't
help you but if you describe the problems you experience
a little less broadly here or on #emacs I'm sure what you
describe can be corrected and so will benefit any future user
regardless of profession or life inclination ...

> Another major issue is that syntax highlighting becomes
> makes emacs so slow [...]

It is known as font lock in the Emacs world and it shouldn't
make Emacs slow, again ask for help or do `emacs-report-bug'
to get help/hopefully have the issue fixed.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plebeians

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal