Re: Closures in Emacs and their usage scenarios.

From: Hongyi Zhao
Subject: Re: Closures in Emacs and their usage scenarios.
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 16:54:23 +0800

On Tue, Sep 28, 2021 at 4:31 PM Emanuel Berg via Users list for the
GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hongyi Zhao wrote:
>
> >> smells like OO spirit ...
> >
> > What's the meaning of `OO spirit'?
>
> OO = Object Oriented
>
> The best definition of OOP that I've heard is the coupling of
> data and the functions ("methods" in OO lingo) that act upon
> that data. What I can see that's exactly what happens here
> with closures ... (or at least the examples I provided are
> like that)
>
> OO was huge in the 90s when some programs were even rewritten
> just so they would be "OO" as well. Today, not even the C++
> guys stress the OO component of their language - instead they
> think C++ is great for other reasons.
>
> From the Python people there were also a huge OO enthusiasm
> (Python is from 1991, C++ is as old as from 1983) where even
> the language itself was OO - maybe you can tell me/us, if the
> OO enthusiasm has quieted down there as well ...

Lisp in nature is OO and can be nothing or anything. From this point
of view, lisp in itself maybe not considered as a language - it is
only a method and philosophy of constructing all things, and even can
reconstruct itself. Just as the praise by Bob Kanefsky and Julia
Ecklar in "Eternal Flame" [1]:

And God wrote in Lisp code every creature great and small.
Don't search the disk drive for man.c, when the listing's on the wall.
And when I watch the lightning burn unbelievers to a crisp,
I know God had six days to work. So he wrote it all in Lisp.

[1] https://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/eternal-flame.en.html

> "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is a 1991 Nirvana song from the
> album Nevermind.
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTWKbfoikeg>
>
> --
> underground experts united