Re: Set the default-directory dynamically according to the buffer-file-n

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Set the default-directory dynamically according to the buffer-file-name.
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 09:39:11 +0200

Hongyi Zhao wrote:

>> But I got an idea recently that I told you about already,
>> but I can tell you again, only I only implemented it to
>> a very small degree so far (if I'll ever complete the
>> intention), anyway it is a good idea, and simple as well,
>> namely, keep all configuration (within a field) in _one_
>> file, and all extensions (within the same field) in other,
>> separate files -
>
> The most difficult thing, IMHO, is the classification
> criteria for the different fields.

Here "field" refers either to an Elisp program, e.g. Gnus,
Emacs-w3m and ERC, or a activity or other e.g. "audio" or
"math". That's just something I wrote, maybe it should be
called something else.

Examples:

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/erc/
  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/audio.el
  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/math.el

> Which ones are configuration and Which ones are extensions
> in your terminology?

Configuration example:
  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/erc/erc-incal.el

Extensions are all other files in that directory,
https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/erc/ , namely

  erc-connect.el
  erc-iterate.el
  erc-kill.el
  erc-misc.el
  erc-scroll.el
  erc-spell.el

I'm sure some of that is, in your words, "unnecessary".

Sometimes it is good to have even tho it is unnecessary
because the version already there isn't exactly to your
liking. Sometimes it isn't but can be configured, that's
preferable if so. Sometimes you are just doing what someone
else has already added to Emacs and you don't know that.
Then you should just drop it when you find out and re-wire to
the official version ...

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal