Re: How to rename files to numbers in Eshell?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: How to rename files to numbers in Eshell?
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2021 02:09:27 +0200

Jean Louis wrote:

> Or maybe there is not much of Bash as my "Bash" scripts were
> mostly Common Lisp, Perl, etc.

Common Lisp is the so-called "industrial strength" Lisp and
should be much faster than Elisp, did some work on that (SBCL)
with SLIME and SDL2/OpenGL (12 files)
<https://dataswamp.org/~incal/common-lisp/general-base/>

This config file also includes the commands to install
everything:
<https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/ide/slime-incal.el>

Here are a bunch of screenshot (included GLSL, source lost,
I think):
<https://dataswamp.org/~incal/figures/opengl-glsl/>

However ... there were a bunch of problems with the SLIME
workflow, it didn't get to the point that it felt like Elisp
in terms of interaction/integration, maybe I wasn't persistent
enough, but here yes, from my POV of relative failure in that
regard I can see that you want it Elisp and not CL.

As for Perl, I'm not a network guy but if I were I would
prefer Python, devel is just lightning fast, as I realized with
my one Python as-an-adult project.
<https://dataswamp.org/~incal/#bot>

Some toy projects with Perl: (very old)
<https://dataswamp.org/~incal/irssi/>
<https://dataswamp.org/~incal/note_DB>

To translate either Perl or Python to Elisp to I would _never_
do ...

> I guess that is hard to believe as you are in Emacs Lisp
> mailing list, it is hard to believe you cannot understand
> the idea of using Emacs Lisp, you who has hundreds of Emacs
> Lisp scripts.

Hold your horses, not scripts, functions! I do have scripts as
well but these are rare.
<https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/bike.el>

And I have that in zsh as well in another version. No real
benefit from the Elisp version compared to the zsh, either.
<https://dataswamp.org/~incal/conf/.zsh/bike>

> Bash is different environment to Emacs, when person works in
> one environment then person tends to integrate missing
> peaces. Would I work in Racket, I would most probably
> rewrite it all to Racket.

Agreed, but I do filesystem shell tools from a terminal
emulator (the Linux VTs with tmux on top) which I think is
very common (maybe xterm and tmux is more common but in
principle) and see no reason and no advantage, on the
contrary, to move that - or even write it to begin with - in
Elisp ... You are saying the environment decides what to use,
yes, that and the purpose and associated tools, but to me, all
those point at the shell (e.g. zsh as I use) and to at
Emacs ...

>> Post the code here as you do, it is appreciated despite my
>> style issues with your code ...
>
> I care only if it works.

But this attitude holds you back as a programmer ...

> Here are few examples that invoke `yad' dialog generator
> from Emacs.

Cool - keep 'em coming :)

--
underground experts united