Re: How to rename files to numbers in Eshell?

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: How to rename files to numbers in Eshell?
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2021 23:51:29 +0300

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2021-10-01 03:11]:
> Jean Louis wrote:
>
> > Or maybe there is not much of Bash as my "Bash" scripts were
> > mostly Common Lisp, Perl, etc.
>
> Common Lisp is the so-called "industrial strength" Lisp and
> should be much faster than Elisp, did some work on that (SBCL)
> with SLIME and SDL2/OpenGL (12 files)
> <https://dataswamp.org/~incal/common-lisp/general-base/>

Just that for my needs speed does not matter much. What really matters
is the integration opportunity that Emacs offers. We don't have our
computing so prepared to be fully integrated, but we have got
opportunities to make it so.

Example is sharing files from mobile devices, they have made it well
integrated. Users on any mobile device may go into gallery and share
image or file to any kind of available communication channel such as
Bluetooth, email, http sharing over web server provided application is
installed, SMS if available, XMPP chat, or other types of chat, and so
on. File sharing is fundamental to computer.

We don't have file sharing well integrated in Emacs. For example there
is no quick Dired function to email a file or set of files. There is
"attach file" to email function but it is not so straight
forward. There is Tramp to share to other devices, which is good
integration related package.

Back to Common Lisp. It is even less integrated for basic needs. In
Emacs I can mark files and share them to other device or use functions
to share them by email or publish files on remote devices. In Common
Lisp I have to program everything myself, too much of it. Marking of
files I would need to program myself. Taking care of even lower level
functions.

> However ... there were a bunch of problems with the SLIME
> workflow, it didn't get to the point that it felt like Elisp
> in terms of interaction/integration, maybe I wasn't persistent
> enough, but here yes, from my POV of relative failure in that
> regard I can see that you want it Elisp and not CL.

Everything can be done with Common Lisp and Scheme, but it is more
work with Common Lisp as compared to Emacs once user understands how
much of it is already close to fingertips.

> To translate either Perl or Python to Elisp to I would _never_
> do ...

I have done that from Perl to Common Lisp, from Perl to Emacs Lisp.

> > Bash is different environment to Emacs, when person works in
> > one environment then person tends to integrate missing
> > peaces. Would I work in Racket, I would most probably
> > rewrite it all to Racket.
>
> Agreed, but I do filesystem shell tools from a terminal
> emulator (the Linux VTs with tmux on top) which I think is
> very common (maybe xterm and tmux is more common but in
> principle) and see no reason and no advantage, on the
> contrary, to move that - or even write it to begin with - in
> Elisp ... You are saying the environment decides what to use,
> yes, that and the purpose and associated tools, but to me, all
> those point at the shell (e.g. zsh as I use) and to at
> Emacs ...

I use Emacs Lisp to prepare images and videos for WWW, publish files
to remote servers, generate hyperlinks and similar. Sometimes I have
video files to be converted to WEBM format and I delegate it to
network machine which manages conversion by Emacs Lisp. If I have
local function to convert videos, then I just copy it remotely and
have remote computer do the same. It is programming language, not just
editor.

There is fundamental principle that almost anything we do on computer
is related to writing, thus editing. In your example you are
mentioning it without notice, you have to edit and type text in xterm
and within tmux.

Normally I use `screen' similar to `tmux' to launch `aria2c' when I am
downloading some movies on remote server. Internet connection is not
stable from under developed countries and `screen' prevents process to
break. Later I find the file properly downloaded. When I learn how to
launch a torrent remotely to `aria2c' then I will do it from
Emacs. Why open terminal, ssh, login, when I could just get a prompt
and insert torrent link and let computer think of the rest.

In general it is good to strive to more integration that computers do
the work for us.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns