Re: Workshop to save M$ Windows users - help needed

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Workshop to save M$ Windows users - help needed
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2021 13:40:28 +0300

> From: Eduardo Ochs <eduardoochs@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2021 07:19:16 -0300
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
>
> What is a good way for installing wget and a program from
> unzipping/untgzipping files? Which un(tg)zipper do you recommend? I
> remember vaguely using something called 7z ages ago...

Do you really need that?  The Windows Explorer can unzip files just
fine, and a browser or Emacs itself can be used to fetch files.

> Also, what is a good way to make sure that these programs are in the
> PATH? If each student can send me their original PATH and the full
> paths to these programs I can produce a sexp like this for each one...
>
>   (setenv "PATH"
>    (concat
>     "/path/to/wget:"
>     "/path/to/7z:"
>
> "/home/edrx/bin:/home/edrx/.elan/bin:/home/edrx/.local/bin:/home/edrx/.cabal/bin:/home/edrx/.ghcup/bin:/usr/local/texlive/2021/bin/x86_64-linux:/home/edrx/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games:.:/home/edrx/EXPECT:/home/edrx/TCL:/home/edrx/pkg/bin")
>    )

It's best not to go there at all.  Changing PATH from within Emacs is
asking for trouble, because the system outside Emacs doesn't know
about that, and changing PATH system-wide requires going to system
properties and making changes there (which sometimes might mean
privileges normal users don't have).  Try avoiding that, is my advice.