Re: Workshop to save M$ Windows users - help needed

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Workshop to save M$ Windows users - help needed
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 21:50:29 +0300

> From: Eduardo Ochs <eduardoochs@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2021 16:15:11 -0300
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
>
>       http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs-paper.html
>
> and type M-x brep we get a temporary buffer containing something like
> this,
>

> • (eepitch-shell)
> • (eepitch-kill)
> • (eepitch-shell)
>   mkdir -p $S/http/www.gnu.org/software/emacs/
>   cd       $S/http/www.gnu.org/software/emacs/
>   wget -nc 'http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs-paper.html'
>

> So several things in the workshop will be much easier if everybody has
> wget in the path. An un(tg)zipper is not very important - I only
> realized this after my previous e-mail - but wget is.

I still don't think I understand.  Emacs is perfectly capable of
fetching URLs, so why would you need wget?  If you base this on wget,
you will need to cope with complexities that you had better avoided:
how to download a program, where to find it, how to install it so it's
on PATH, etc. etc.  Please believe me that arranging for a simple Lisp
command that fetches a URL and saves it to a file is orders of
magnitude simpler.