Re: [External] : How to create a higher order function?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: [External] : How to create a higher order function?
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2021 09:38:29 +0200

Marcin Borkowski wrote:

> By an "option" I mean a variable I (the user) can set,
> either via `setq' (or customize) or via `let' (in my code)
> so that Emacs behavior is changed (temporarily in the case
> of `let').

Yes, but are people really using `let' to set options? Well,
okay, maybe they do ...

>> Split up the `let' is what I think, into slet, `dlet'
>> (which already exists), and llet, an alias to `let' (or the
>> other way around, doesn't matter), which would be the same
>> as our `let' under lexical binding. Then remove all ugly
>> preprocessor-style ;;; -*- lexical-binding: t; -*- and
>> everyone can just use whatever they like with the different
>> lets having their (and only their) behavior in the
>> docstrings, and that behavior wouldn't change no matter any
>> outside fiddling around.
>
> You mean you could use the same variable sometimes with
> `slet', sometimes with `dlet'?

Yes, with `dlet' and `let' it would/could be that way - with
"slet" it would _always_ be static/lexical so then it would be
"same variable name" rather ...

> I'm not sure if that is easy or difficult to implement.

I'm sure it wasn't easy but Mr. Monnier already have all three
in his vault :)

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal