Re: C Hello World Emacs module

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: C Hello World Emacs module
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2021 13:15:33 +0200

Omar Polo wrote:

>> Is there a minimal working example, in the LaTeX lingo, for
>> C modules in Emacs?
>
> Other than in the manual, I've found this article by skeeto
> to be really helpful in understanding how modules works:
>
> https://nullprogram.com/blog/2016/11/05/
>
> The first bit of code is how to call `message' with "Hello,
> world!" as argument.

OK, thanks, that one step closer, there's this

  #include "emacs-module.h"

  int plugin_is_GPL_compatible;

  int emacs_module_init(struct emacs_runtime *ert) {
    emacs_env *env = ert->get_environment(ert);
    emacs_value message = env->intern(env, "message");
    const char hi[] = "Hello, world!";
    emacs_value string = env->make_string(env, hi, sizeof(hi) - 1);
    env->funcall(env, message, 1, &string);
    return 0;
  }

  In a real module, it’s common to create function objects for
  native functions, then fetch the fset symbol and make a Lisp
  call on it to bind the newly-created function object to
  a name. You’ll see this in action later.

But still missing is the command(s) and options to compile and
instructions how to make it visible from Emacs ...

Also I'd like to have the example as it would look "[i]n
a real module" ... so it shouldn't just be a MWE, it should be
a MCAWE (Minimal Correct and Applicable Working Example)

:)

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal