Re: Lisp books

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Lisp books
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2021 12:17:12 +0200

tomas wrote:

>>> But not just Emacs Lisp but "History of Lisp"?
>>
>> Try https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/155360.155373
>
> I learnt to despise those: they have become
> cookie/javascript black holes [1] as of late.

Indeed, didn't work for me either (or I gave up, maybe).

>> or the director's cut:
>> https://www.dreamsongs.com/Files/HOPL2-Uncut.pdf
>
> *That*'s how links in the Internet are, in my
> wildest dreams!

Indeed (again)

> [1] By default, my browser doesn't do any of them. No,
>    I don't think they are after me. But I'm fed up by all
>    that slimy stuff, kind of the vacuum cleaner salespeople
>    of the XXI. Yes, consider me as a kind of a funny
>    Internet Vegan or something. I won't mind ;-D

Indeed!

You can do this [last] with Emacs-w3m. I remember a discussion
where there was a page and you'd visit and it'd tell you the
footprint you made. What happened with Emacs-w3m an my setting
was ironically that it made such a small footprint, it was
highly unusual :) But I'm not a tin-hat enough to think
anything bad can really happen to anyone because of that.
Maybe in China or Belarus? Even so, why gamble ...

Now tomas you seem to think your sentiments are rare but they
are not.

The only thing to add is a note on JavaScript which, _in
general_, and as you know, isn't "a shabby-construction
web-programming language with a C++ syntax".

"Hello, everyone, this is 2021 calling. Please update your
calendars, it is no longer the 1990s", as it was put.

(setq w3m-add-user-agent nil)

(setq w3m-use-cookies nil)

(setq w3m-use-refresh nil)
(defun w3m-display-progress-message (_))

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal