Re: Issues installing packages from melpa

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Issues installing packages from melpa
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2021 19:48:51 +0000

Akber Khan <Akber.Khan@frb.gov> writes:

> Hi Philip,
>
> I'm sure its not being modified on startup (but if there's a way I can
> demonstrate that to you definitively please let me know).

You could add a

    (debug-on-variable-change 'file-name-handler-alist)

to the beginning for your init.el or .emacs, and see if the debugger
pops up. But I think this is not likely.

> What do you think about the second part of the error besides the
> symbols that indicate a problem with compressed files? The message:
>
> "Process melpa.org connection broken by remote peer"
>
> That appears in all the package descriptions?

It sounds like something to do with networking, but I cannot say for
sure. Can you verify that this is not related to your local network?
Eg. by using Tor or a VPN. If not, I think it would be better to open a
proper bug report (M-x report-emacs-bug), so that the maintainers take a
look at the issue.

--
        Philip Kaludercic