[OFFPTOPIC] ACM digital library (was: Lisp books)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: [OFFPTOPIC] ACM digital library (was: Lisp books)
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2021 16:24:41 -0400

>> > I learnt to despise those: they have become cookie/javascript
>> > black holes [1] as of late.
>> They do use javascript a lot more than I'd like, but `M-x eww` renders
>> it quite acceptably for me.
> What killed them for me is their cookie message:
>   "We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience
>    on our website."
> This is corporate Newspeak for: "don't want to be tracked? Go
> pound sand". That's OK with me. They don't like me, I don't
> like them, We agree on something :)

But the ACM is not a corporation, it's a professional organization
that's supposed to serve its members, such as myself (hence the `.org`
compared to Springer's `.com`).

They get sucked into corporate newspeak, indeed, and they haven't
converted their library to Open Access (tho it's in the plans and some
of the articles are, such our HOPL-4 paper but apparently not the above
HOPL-2 paper) but I think we should lobby them to get better rather than
shun them (after all, most of the alternatives are worse and beholden to
corporate interests, except for those which don't intend to provide
anything more than archival services, such as LIPIcs or arXiv).

        Stefan