Re: Workshop to save M$ Windows users - help needed

From: Tomas Hlavaty
Subject: Re: Workshop to save M$ Windows users - help needed
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2021 19:52:37 +0200

Hi Eduardo,

On Thu 07 Oct 2021 at 13:32, Eduardo Ochs <eduardoochs@gmail.com> wrote:
> then I followed the first half of your idea - "use eww" - and I got
> this, which worked well:
>
>   (require 'eww)
>   ;; See: (find-efunction 'eww-download)
>
>   (find-sh0 "rm -v ~/Coetzee99.pdf")
>   (setq url
> "https://tannerlectures.utah.edu/_resources/documents/a-to-z/c/Coetzee99.pdf";)
>   (url-retrieve url #'eww-download-callback (list url "/tmp"))
>   (find-pdf-page "~/Coetzee99.pdf")

good you found something that works for you, esp such a simple solution.

Interestingly, I had to remove the "/tmp" argument, otherwise it threw
an error.  This worked for me on Emacs 27.2:

   (setq url
"https://tannerlectures.utah.edu/_resources/documents/a-to-z/c/Coetzee99.pdf";)
   (url-retrieve url #'eww-download-callback (list url))

It downloads the file in the background.

I wonder, if there is a way to somehow list the running downloads or at
least see the open network buffers?  I do not see them in *Buffer List*
and when downloading with eww, the downloads feel invisible.

Tomas