Re: Closures in Emacs and their usage scenarios.

From: Hongyi Zhao
Subject: Re: Closures in Emacs and their usage scenarios.
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2021 18:53:48 +0800

On Fri, Oct 1, 2021 at 11:37 AM Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> wrote:
> I don't think you need to, to understand closures. What he says there is that
> closures are more powerful than some other, more manistream tools used in
> programming, particulary object orineted programming. To understand that you
> would obviously you will need to have some udnerstanding of how object orinted
> languages work, what are static class members, inheritance and so on, and you
> would probably need to knoow it bit mroe than just how to use those. If you
> not
> familiar with such topics I sugget to learn some Java and than try to
> udnerstand
> that part later on.
>
> My persoal opinion here is that the author is presenting closures as the basic
> building block upon which to build other language primitives, and I think he
> is
> showing us how simple basic concepts of Lisp are more universal than some
> other
> concepts favoured by more popular languages. But that might be just mine
> interpretation of that last part.

I'm learning "Advising Emacs Lisp Functions"[1] now. According to my
current superficial understanding, it seems that both closure and
advice function are intended to provide a clean and concise method to
patch/repair/adapt the existing function/macros with a most consistent
way.

[1]
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_mono/elisp.html#Advising-Functions

HZ