Re: TRAMP: Problems copying files in emacs-28.0.50 on Windows 10

From: H. Dieter Wilhelm
Subject: Re: TRAMP: Problems copying files in emacs-28.0.50 on Windows 10
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 22:33:21 +0200

>> installed: tramp-2.5.1.3, then emacs -Q
>
> I'm not sure that installed ELPA packages are activated when you run
> "emacs -Q". Likely, you must load Tramp in your *scratch* buffer (or you
> don't use "-Q" while testing).

Please tell me what you mean exactly by loading Tramp in the *scratch*
buffer?

I know about installing a package from a tar file or I can load
individual lisp files but not a whole directory full of lisp files...

> Verify your Tramp version with "C-h v tramp-version".

I did that and Emacs answered me: 2.5.1-pre.  I assumed that this must
surely be 2.5.1.3.  But what you wrote about emacs -Q is more
reasonable.

I'll loaded all 20 tramp 2.5.1.3 sources from their Elpa folder and the
remote copy operation is working now with emacs -Q. Hurrah!

>> Unfortunately method completion is still not working for me. (With emacs
>> -Q for / s TAB and / p TAB)
>
> As said, Emacs knows Tramp methods for completion only when you have
> loaded Tramp.
>
> (Also this with Tramp 2.5.1.3, because there have been changes last months.)

Right, also completion is working with 2.5.1.3. :-)

Using Tramp is so much more convenient than to open a terminal, then scp
files, then ssh into the remote machine and then operate on the files!
All in one go with Tramp, great stuff!

Thank you very much Michael

      Dieter

PS: The only thing where I'm a bit confused is why - in emacs -Q - Tramp
isn't asking me to save the passwords in an .authinfo file?  Did you
change a customisation in 2.5.1.3 compared to 2.5.1-pre?

--
Best wishes
H. Dieter Wilhelm