Re: help my chromebook backspace key destroy

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: help my chromebook backspace key destroy
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 06:38:13 +0200

Eduardo Ochs <eduardoochs@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Byung-Hee!
> Try this:
> (global-set-key (kbd "<f10>") 'delete-backward-char)
>
> ("Try" here means "go to the end of the line and type C-x C-e")
>   [[]], Eduardo

In modes that map DEL to something different from delete-backward-char
(as Gnus and many other packages do) it wont work, as pressing F10 wont
be equivalent to pressing DEL.

I think keyboard-translate does the trick. The Emacs FAQ (accesible
through C-h C-f or from the Help menu) has a sub-node titled "Swapping
keys" under "Key bindings" that discusses this case, but right now I
can't figure out the syntax for function keys.

But the OP would be better served if he/she remaps the keys at a lower
level. A quick web search gives

https://ictsolved.github.io/remap-key-in-linux/

which addresses the specific case of remapping a broken DEL key under X
(apparently that key breaks often.)