Re: How to setup default program to launch directory?

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: How to setup default program to launch directory?
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 08:32:47 +0300

* Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de> [2021-10-14 03:19]:
> Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:
>
> > I would like to launch programs on directories, is there any way to
> > set it up by default? This is also useful to launch videos on
> > directory.
>
> In each entry (REGEXP COMMAND...) in `dired-guess-shell-alist-user',
> COMMAND
>
> | can either be a string or a Lisp expression that evaluates to a
> | string.  If this expression needs to consult the name of the file for
> | which the shell commands are being requested, it can access that file
> | name as the variable `file'.
>
> (quoting from the docstring).  This is what you want to use.  Use a
> catchall REGEXP and make COMMAND an expression that returns something
> for directories, and nil else.  AFAICT COMMAND is also allowed to return
> a list of strings.
>
> I made it so that the expression also looks inside the directory, and
> when it's full of images or media files, I return appropriate
> viewers.

I have made regexp to be: .

and expression to be "(rcd-open-dir file)"

Though I find it not logical to have to put Lisp expression in quotes.

And I am trying to use this one.

(defun rcd-open-dir (file)
  "vlc")

but it says "exited abnormally" and I cannot see error messages.

Please show me example how you deal with it.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman